Friday, June 8, 2012

Serby's Q&A with ... Lou Lamoriello

Q: Describe the Devils Way?

A: Unselfish. . .respect of each other. . .and never wanting to let the teammate down.

Q: Describe the traits you look for in a Lou Lamoriello hockey player?

A: Total commitment. . .give up your own identity for the good of the team. . .and, I guess, respect (your) teammate.

Q: The traits you look for in a hockey coach?

A: One who has no ego ... has a conviction in what he believes in, but is never afraid to adjust or change if someone gives a better idea ... and don't do it just simply 'cause you want to prove you're right and somebody else wrong.

Q: Coaches or managers in other sports you admire?

A: (Bill) Belichick is probably somebody I have tremendous respect for. I don't know him personally but the way I've seen him bring players in, and make team players out of players who come from another team that might not have fit in, and they buy into the system. And he wins.

Q: Anyone else?

A: Well certainly Vince Lombardi, what he did with the Green Bay Packers. And I have to go back to the old Canadien teams, and the way they developed players. And probably go to what Red Auerbach did with his team - - totally unseflish. . No stars, and yet they were all stars ... they were all superstars but they weren't stars. They were just ... and every player meant something. And, of course, without any sort of hesitation, the Yankees and the commitment that George Steinbrenner had given to winning, and how he wanted their players to be handled and the disciplne that was done there, and I certainly admire Joe Torre. . .there's just so many people that you draw so many things out of, that what you then put it into your own person.

Q: Athletes in other sports you admire?

A: I can think of any number of them ... I watched Larry Bird for years, and what what he did, how he competed. I'm fans of many players. It's tough, I can go on and on because I look at certain traits and just the way they compete, which is the most important thing. I like players who compete. And if you have talent and you compete, you're gonna have success.

Q: Why did you give your coach a Vince Lombardi book his first day on the job?

A: Because I thought the book is indicative of what a lot of the philosophies I have here, and it says it through another set of words, another mind, and I believe it. I believe in what he did and how he built teams in Green Bay. I was in college at that time, and I watched what he did with the Paul Hornungs and the Bart Starrs, and how he brought everybody together. To have success in any team, you have to bring everybody together, for one common cause. I thought he did it better than anybody.

Next >

1

2

3

4

Vince Lombardi, Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers, Lou Lamoriello, George Steinbrenner, Red Auerbach

Nypost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment