Sunday, October 23, 2011

Is ScarJo's Dolce & Gabbana perfume commercial for real?

By second 13 of Scarlett Johansson's new perfume commercial, I was certain it was a Saturday Night Live parody. 

But no, it ends with a closeup shot of a bottle of perfume and a voice-over saying very seriously, "Dolce & Gabbana's The One."

What comes before it is a cross between a Jackie Mason routine and a press interview with Ava Gardner, conducted by Fozzy Bear.   

"I had an Italian boyfriend once, his mother broke up with me." Pause. Smirk. "How do I know it was a lie? Because I read it in your newspaper." Cup curls. Check makeup. Retro-fied ScarJo rattles off hay-o after hay-o sprinkled with a few romantic notions. ("Music inspires me. Art inspires me. And so does the wind.")

Because it's a perfume commercial we're supposed to be enamored. Because it's ScarJo, who despite her blinding glamour, possesses a contemporary ironic affect, it all seems like a big joke about silly celebrities who star in silly perfume commercials. 

As a result, it makes for an utterly captivating 82 seconds. But I'm still not sure if I'm laughing with the commercial or at it.  Is it a joke?

Related:
Would you buy perfume from a star you hate?
Department stores ditch perfume sprayers
Scarlett's nude pics: let's stop blaming her
ScarJo's D&G makeup campaign
Follow Yahoo! Shine on  Twitter, "like" us on Facebook

check makeup, new perfume, scarlett johansson, ava gardner, romantic notions, jackie mason, saturday night live, curls, dolce amp gabbana, ditch, parody, department stores, glamour, joke, nbsp, amp, commercials, celebrities, yahoo, music

Shine.yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment